- Complaint number
- NTB Type
- 8.1. Government Policy and regulations
Government of Zambia issues Statutory Instrument 115 of 2020 , The Customs and Excise Ports of Entry and Routes Amendment Order, 2020, 9A(1) Reads , goods exported through Victoria Falls port in accordance with this paragraph shall be transported by rail, this Order automatically is a ban to export goods to Zimbabwe as the whole process to export using rail is a burdensome to trade by small scale players. Most goods are bought in Kamwala area shops and some being bought in the industrial areas which small players can easily transport using their vehicles or hired vehicles as they combine wares. Introduction for use of Rail is a clear indication by the Government of Zambia to ban export of certain commodities to Zimbabwe as market access will be a challenge to those living within Victoria Falls and the whole part of matebelalend as they are forced to use Chirundu exit .
Trucks can reach Victoria Falls within a day which is different from train, trucks you can accompany your goods different from train, trucks you can be cleared in time whereas using train everything is dumped at one place. this will open other avenues of bush borders or direct smuggling at the borders as officials will not be clearing goods in trucks
- Progress update note
On 6 May 2021, Zambia Focal Point reported that :
SI 115 is meant:
1. To control which goods can be imported and exported on the basis of station competences regarding, infrastructure, man power competencies and presence of other regulatory Agencies
2. Victoria falls is a national heritage and tourism site which is meant to be preserved as such by SI 115 by preventing huge truck spending hours there thus affecting the eco system of this site.
3. During the COMESA NMC Capacity building workshop held in Kiglai, Zambia Focal Point reported that the SI had never been implemented because Zimbabwe did not enact a similar SI. The two countries Focal Points were to convene bilateral meeting to consider resolution of the NTB.
- Policy or regulatory NTB
- Zambia: Zambia Revenue Authority (Government institution)
- Reporting Country or Region
- Country specific trade issue
- Date of incident
- In process
- Product Description
sweets, biscuits, soap milk etc see attachment
- Total value
- Date reported
- 2021-02-03 15:07
- 2021-05-05 14:11