- Complaint number
- NTB Type
- 1.2. Government monopoly in export/import
- Zambia Revenue Authority has produced a statutory Instrument (SI NO 115 OF 2020 which prohibits exportation of certain products to neighboring countries e.g Zimbabwe. Trade has been going on well between Zimbabwe and Zambia without challenges and if there was need for commodities to exported or imported with license or permits traders have been abiding as required by Law. Zambia Revenue Authority Kariba is holding trucks intended to cross to Zimbabwe for clearance because of this Statutory Instrument, The statutory Instrument is not clear on the reasons or basis for its effect, It has come harder for the traders as the situation will force them to use chirundu which will then be costly for them to drive back to chirundu, whereas those goods in trucks which are in Zambia have been pre cleared in Zimbabwe awaiting PE as the normal way .
- Status note
The Zambia Revenue Authority facilitated the clearance of the consignments that were already at Kariba Border Post. Importers/Exporters/Transporters were urged to be guided by the Statutory Instrument on the routes they are required to use when carrying certain cargo.
Due to the nature of the current situation, those already at Kariba were allowed to proceed.
- Progress update note
1. On 28 January 2021, Zambia Revenue Authority advised that the cited SI does not ban exports to Zimbabwe or indeed any country but merely designates ports through which certain goods can be imported.
2. On 29 January 2021, Zambia Focal Point advised that the Zambia Revenue Authority was working on facilitating the clearance of the consignments that are currently already at Kariba Border Post. Importers/Exporters/Transporters should be guided by the Statutory Instrument on the routes they are required to use when carrying certain cargo.
Due to the nature of the current situation, those already at Kariba will be allowed to proceed.
- Policy or regulatory NTB
- Zambia: Kariba (Border post)
- Reporting Country or Region
- Country specific trade issue
- Date of incident
- Date of resolution
- Product Description
sweets, biscuits, soap, milk , tissues,
- Total value
- Date reported
- 2021-01-28 15:52
- 2021-02-03 17:14