- Complaint number
- NTB Type
2.8. Lengthy and costly customs clearance procedures
There are daily delays of truck movement due to customs clearing delays by Zambian authorities. Trucks are made to queue on the Zimbabwean side of the border whilst Zambian procedures are being done. The queue on the Zimbabwean side is almost permanent and sometimes stretches up to 10km along the road. Drivers have no ablution and other facilities in the process (health challenges).
The fight against the covid-19 disease is severely affected adversely by this development. In addition to this the trucks are exposed to thieves and wild animals. Clearing agents Zimbabwe transit bonds are also held up pending exit of the trucks.
- Status note
Zambia NTBs national monitoring Committee undertook a verification mission to Chirundu Border post on 11- 12 June 2020 to ascertain the degree of the problem and recommend way forward. The mission found out that all border agencies were overwhelmed by the increase in the volumes of traffic due to the COVID-19 Pandemic which caused traffic to be diverted from other borders e.g Kazungula Ferry to Chirundu . Following submission of this complaint the Zambia and Zimbabwe put in place the following temporary measures to adress the matter:
1. Increased working hours from 16 hours a day to 24 hours a day;
2. Introduction of an additional lane to fast track the flow of essential goods such as fuels, food medical supplies and medical equipment;
3. Truck drivers are allowed to park their trucks outside the Common Control Zone (CCZ) before undergoing health screening at the passenger terminal in order to decongest the border area; and
4. Introduction of processing of exports in-land to reduce the amount of time spent by the truck drivers at the border.
These measures cleared all the trucks in the ques therefore the NTB was resolved
- Progress update note
Zambia NMC is undertaking consultations with relevant authorities and they will provide feedback as soon as possible .
- Policy or regulatory NTB
Zambia: Chirundu (Border post)
- Reporting Country or Region
- Country specific trade issue
- Date of incident
- Date of resolution
- Product Description
- Total value
- Date reported