- Complaint number
- NTB Type
2.8. Lengthy and costly customs clearance procedures
The border is too congested for the past 3 weeks with the queue now stretching backwards for 90 kilometers to Kitwe Town in the Copperbelt in Zambia, the situation has really gotten out of hand and we need urgent intervention.There are more that 1000 trucks queuing now and more joining from the various corridors.
- Status note
During the verification mission to Chirundu held on 11 - 12 June, the Zambia and Zimbabwe Border Agencies reported that the log ques had been cleared by 31st May 2020 . The following temporary measures were taken jointly to clear the trucks:
1. Increased working hours from 16 hours a day to 24 hours a day;
2. Introduction of an additional lane to fast track the flow of essential goods such as fuels, food medical supplies and medical equipment;
3. Truck drivers are allowed to park their trucks outside the Common Control Zone (CCZ) before undergoing health screening at the passenger terminal in order to decongest the border area; and
3. Introduction of processing of exports in-land to reduce the amount of time spent by the truck drivers at the border.
- Progress update note
On 7 April 2020, Zambia Focal Point reported that the congestion could be as a result of the 14 days quarantine requirements for cross border drivers. They were going to carry out investigations and give concrete feedback.
2. On 9 April 2020, Zambia Focal Point reported that the problem was arising form the situation that Democratic Republic of Congo is in lock-down and enforcing strict screening measures at all Ports of entry in view of COVID-19. As a result, there has been a build up of traffic on the Zambian side at Kasumbalesa border post.
There is on-going engagement with Officials in the DRC and it was hoped that the situation can be resolved expeditiously.
- Policy or regulatory NTB
Zambia: Kasumbalesa (Border post)
- Reporting Country or Region
- Country specific trade issue
- Date of incident
- Date of resolution
- Product Description
- Total value
- Date reported