- Complaint number
- NTB Type
2.3. Issues related to the rules of origin
Discriminatory treatment (Excise duty) of Kenyan manufactured products among others Pharmaceutical products.
- Progress update note
1. Kenya and Uganda agreed to resolve the NTB bilaterally as it was agreed by Heads of State. The two Partner States agreed to update the EAC on the progress.
2. During the Regional Monitoring Committee held on 15th October, 2019Uganda informed the meeting that work is ongoing to resolve the NTB and would report back by November, 2019
3. On 10 march 2020, the Secretariat reported that Uganda was expected to resolve this NTB as committed in the Bilateral meeting and also sensitize its Regulatory Authorities on the implementation of EAC Provisions.
4. Uganda informed the RMC meeting held on 10 August 2020 that consultations are still ongoing to resolve the NTB. The meeting agreed that Uganda provides an update by 24th August 2020.
5.During the SCTIFI held in September 2020, the Republic of Uganda informed that resolving this NTB has a budget implication and hence will resolve the NTB by 1st July, 2021.
The Republic of Kenya requested that Uganda considers implementing interim measures while awaiting resolution of this NTB.
6. During the NMC meeting held in March 2021, the Republic of Uganda reported that the draft proposal to consider the original fee of 2% has been finalized pending clearance of the Solicitor General. Looking forward to being implemented by July 2021
7.The RMC held in October 2021 noted that Clearance is in the final stages at the Solicitor General’s Office. Uganda to fast track the consultations with the Solicitor General Office and provide an update during the Bilateral meeting in November 2021.
8. On 14 June 2022, the EAC Secretariat reported that the SCTIFI of May 2022 noted that Clearance is in the final stages at the Solicitor General’s Office. By 1st July 2022, the NTB will be resolved
- Policy or regulatory NTB
Uganda: Uganda Revenue Authority (Government institution)
- Reporting Country or Region
- Country specific trade issue
- Date of incident
- Product Description
- Total value
- Date reported