- Complaint number
- NTB Type
8.7. Costly Road user charges /fees
Non-harmonized road user charges / road tolls in EAC Partner States.
- Progress update note
1. On 26 October 2018, Focal Point for Tanzania advised that the feedback was being awaited from the Sectoral Committee on Transport , Communication and Metrology .
2. During the Extra Ordinary SCTIFI that sat in February, 2018, This matter was found to be operational in nature and hence was referred to the Sectoral Committee on Tranport, Communication and Meteorology (TCM) for resolution.
3. The EAC, in collaboration with SADC and COMESA, is working on a model for harmonizing the principles for road user charges
4. The 16th EAC Forum on NTBs held in Kigali noted the decision of the 11th TCM Sectoral Council held in June 2014. The Council noted that the study on the harmonization of the road user charges and tolls would commence in the financial year 2014/15. This follows from the adoption by the same Sectoral Council of the EAC Transport Facilitation Study Report which will inform the harmonization process. The time frame given was June 2015.
5. On 22nd August 2019, Rwanda requested that the EAC Secretariat follows up to obtain and circulate feed from the TCM so that the matter can be resolved.
6. The Regional Monitoring Committee held on 15October 2019 agreed that the EAC Secretariat should provide the progress report from the meeting of SCTIFI to be held in November 2019.
7. On 10 March 2020, the EAC Secretariat reported that the Study on discriminative fees and charges of the equivalent effect that affect trade in the region was conducted and the report was validated in February 2020. The study recommended the establishment of a regional task force to harmonize the fees and charges.
8.The Study on discriminative fees and charges of the equivalent effect that affect trade in the region was conducted and the report was validated in February 2020. The study recommended the establishment of a regional task force to harmonize the fees and charges.
9. On 1 March 2021, the Secretariat reported that Tanzania provided the comments which were circulated to all Partner States as working document for the NMC meetings.
10.The Regional Validation meeting was convened and recommended that a Regional Taskforce be established to compile all Levie's Charges and fees of equivalent effect.
11. SCTIFI of May 2021 established the Regional Task Force (RTF) and directed Partner States to nominate members of the RTF.All Partner States have nominated members. The Secretariat will convene a meeting of the RTF by January 2022.
- Policy or regulatory NTB
- Reporting Country or Region
- Country specific trade issue
- Date of incident
- Product Description
- Total value
- Date reported